Welcome

I'm going to relate the lessons I've learned from my students in my health classroom through stories I have from our class discussions, assignments, and interactions. Feel free to share some of your own "lessons learned" through the lessons you've taught your students. If you're not in education, perhaps you can relate lessons you have learned from children at some point in your life. Look forward to sharing stories!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Last Day of School

On the last day of school, I have the students complete a reflection activity that asks them where they would like to be in 5 years. They write down dreams to travel, go to college, get a great job and make lots of money, and so on. The next part of the activity is to imagine that they got pregnant or someone else pregnant (keep in mind this is health class and we just covered Human Sexuality). They continue to process what their options are, who they would go to for guidance, and then finally 3 preventative measures they can take to ensure that they are able to make their dreams come true on the front. THey make a pledge to themselves to make certain healthy decisions to ensure this.

After this activity, I ask them if they remember the first day of health class. And one person always remembers. "You dressed up as a fairy godmother and wore a prom dress and a tiara!" Of course, I can't help but smile and explain to them that as their fairy godmother I granted them three wishes, but they are the only ones that can make their dreams come true. I tell them that I did everything I could to give them the knowledge and the skills necessary to live healthy and happy lives, but they are the only ones that can do that by using the things we learned.

Lessons Learned from My students:

#1) All students want to succeed in life. Whether they appear motivated or excited about life, everyone wants something better in their future--it's human nature. So always encourage your students and give them something to be hopeful for if you have the opportunity.

#2) Kids remember/recall information when you dress up or act a part or a character. You don't have to be a theater major to role play every once and awhile, but visuals help engage learning and memories, which can be to your advantage as an educator. I still have former students saying, "remember when you dressed up that one time..."

Health Fairy Godmother 2010
Safe Sex Superhero: the Incredible IUD
                                               

4 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea to dress up! It makes such a huge impact on your class because it is not what they are used to! I am sure when they are adults they will still be talking about the time that you dressed up like the Safe Sex Superhero: the Incredible IUD. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your spunk and costumes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach science to 6th grade students and they also got the biggest kick when I dressed up as a mad scientist for one of our lab days. Being a goofball around your students helps them to see your human side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had done a blog like this years ago! We all have those hilarious stories about something our students said, wrote, or drew! I wish I had kept a log! Over time you tend to forget these and they would be so good when you are down. Blogging is a great way of storing these stories so as to have them forever!

    ReplyDelete