Welcome

I'm going to relate the lessons I've learned from my students in my health classroom through stories I have from our class discussions, assignments, and interactions. Feel free to share some of your own "lessons learned" through the lessons you've taught your students. If you're not in education, perhaps you can relate lessons you have learned from children at some point in your life. Look forward to sharing stories!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Practice What You Preach

I'm not sure if this applies to all disciplines, but I think it applies to who we are as people in society. I think that as teachers we are placed under more scrutiny to practice what we preach because students see us as these people that operate out of the school building and don't go to the grocery store like normal people, or shop, or wear sweats out in public like everyone else. And the reason I know this is that I've been shopping in the worst clothes, with bed head--seeking that favorite kind of ice cream on a low key Saturday night, and I run into a student. The student is with a parent and after they think you are the next aisle over, say, "That's Ms. Strey. She's my health teacher." And I quickly glance in my basket to see if the ice cream I was so excited about is hidden beneath something healthy or if the kid saw it.

Lesson Learned:

We are all human--teachers, students, and parents. We all need a little ice cream and sweats every now and then. But the lesson I have learned in the last few years from my interactions at school and in the community is that there is an expectation to practice what you preach as a teacher. You are seen as someone who is trying to get kids to do their best and work their hardest at being successful at whatever you teach them. We have a responsibility in the eyes of the community and the kids we teach to also do the things we try to teach in our everyday life. We expect kids to be respectful, work hard, follow a dress code, and so on... It is only fair that they expect those things from us so at times we have to consider what we preach and if we are following through with what we expect of students. For me, I teach kids to be healthy by eating right, going to the gym, managing their stress, maintaining healthy relationships, and so on. So when I have a cookie in my hand from the teacher's lounge, I will get called on it. "Ms. Strey, you're eating a cookie!?" If I'm at the gym and there are local kids there, I'll get a friendly hello and kids will also know that I am working to maintain my health. I think there is more credibility to who you are in your profession (at times) when you practice what you preach. It can be challenging because we should all be able to live our lives freely and be who we are :) Discretion is advised!

4 comments:

  1. I was on the beach today and ran into a teacher from another district and we somehow got on this topic. LOL Kids and parents think that we live within the four walls of the school and don't leave. They need to remember that though we should practice what we teach we should also be able to choose what to do in our free time. This is the exact reason why I do not work and live in the same city/town. Great lesson though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think about living out of the area sometimes. It gives you more privacy. Since I have lived here for four years, I've learned what to prepare for and how to deal with it. Some days you are in the mood for it and others you're not. Thankfully my district is in a location that is surrounded by cites and beaches and other places to go. So I am not as limited. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices these things or thinks about them!

      Delete
  2. You never know who you are going to run into when you are out and about! Students are always amazed that you have a life outside of school. But it is also important that they see us as human and that we are normal. Even as a health teacher. I remember seeing one of my Jazzercise clients at McDonald's once and feeling extremely guilty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do live out of the area that I live in and as helped me form relationships with people I didn't know and not really be under that radar at my school because I didn't know anyone at first. I don't shop in that community, but I do shop in my hometown where I do not teach. I was one of those kids who thought teachers didn't have a normal life and was so amazed when I saw them out, but we are all humans and we (I) must wear sweats and eat ice cream too,

    ReplyDelete