Welcome

I'm going to relate the lessons I've learned from my students in my health classroom through stories I have from our class discussions, assignments, and interactions. Feel free to share some of your own "lessons learned" through the lessons you've taught your students. If you're not in education, perhaps you can relate lessons you have learned from children at some point in your life. Look forward to sharing stories!

Sunday, July 21, 2013

This One Time...

I'm sure we have all had students that start their stories with, "Ms. Strey, this one time when I was..." These stories usually have something that sparks an emotional reaction--could be shock, disbelief, laughter, a smile, or a shake of a head. All of these things done on the inside of course--or as often as possible. Last year, I had a girl who shared in class how she had planned to kill herself. She shared with everyone the emotions that she was going through and why she wanted a way out. Fortunately, she was in a much better place at that time, but it seemed all the while she was sharing that she enjoyed telling this story of herself. She also didn't recognize that it was something that wasn't appropriate to share.

Lesson Learned:


Our students will share a wide range of stories and ask questions that may be fun to discuss or cause discomfort and awkwardness to deal with in front of an entire class. Sometimes the reaction from you or the class is all they are looking for. In this case, the young girl had autism which prevented her from really knowing that her story was not appropriate to share in front of everyone. At the time, I didn't realize that her inability to handle social situations and interact with others appropriately was the reason for her story. In any case, teachers always have to use discretion in their response and make sure that they handle a question or statement in the way any prudent person would so that boundaries are maintained. Teachers also have to walk to fine line of offering support or demonstrating compassion when the situation calls for it. Bottom line: not all conversations are easy or comfortable but all students deserve to be treated the way that you/I would want to be treated. We are all human. We all come from different backgrounds, which is what makes us all unique. Having a tolerance and understanding of diversity allows us to work with students who come from so many walks of life.

4 comments:

  1. I have had a few of these situations come up, but one that really sticks out was on my second day of school my first year teaching. We were talking about sorting things like collections of different things they may have at home. A little boy was sharing and he said out loud "well, I sort the drugs". I discretely kept moving on to another person, but later talked with him at recess, not really knowing if I should bring it back up. And he clearly knew differences in apperances of certain drugs and I was freaking out! I of course went to the guidance couselor and listened closely the rest of the year for more signs. We really do not know what are students are going through at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is a crazy story and one that any teacher would have a tough time navigating. Sounds like you handled it well!

      Delete
  2. You make so many good points in your lessons learned. We need to keep in mind where the student is coming from and keep in mind that the majority of the class will be looking to us for our reaction. Did you know that this student had autism? What was your reaction in front of the class? I am sure the kids looked straight to you to get your reaction.

    As teachers, it is almost guaranteed that we will get one or two students in our class that will keep us on our toes with these stories. On one side, it makes for a great story when you are out with your teacher friends. haha On the other side, it makes you stay on your toes and they may stump you every now and again. It is important that we take your tips into consideration, remembering where they are coming from and that we stay cool and somehow find a lesson in the 'story'.

    Good luck with your next "One time when I was..." story and I hope you remember your own tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, you are right that many students look for a reaction and at this point in my teaching, I am pretty good and maintaining a straight face if necessary or showing a little emotion when the time is right. I think that in some cases reacting the way anyone would react can show our human side as well. I was aware that she had autism, but I didn't make the connection that she was sharing her story because she didn't have the same affective judgement as her peers.

    ReplyDelete