Welcome

I'm going to relate the lessons I've learned from my students in my health classroom through stories I have from our class discussions, assignments, and interactions. Feel free to share some of your own "lessons learned" through the lessons you've taught your students. If you're not in education, perhaps you can relate lessons you have learned from children at some point in your life. Look forward to sharing stories!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tweeting Into Trouble

We have probably all heard of incidences where our students or students we know have misused social media in some way and dealt with consequences. Prior to this past year, I had never had a personal encounter with a student inappropriately using SM. At the end of the year, unfortunately, I had several incidences. One of my students tweeted something vulgar and inappropriate about me (as their teacher) on twitter. This post was written while she was in my class and using her phone at a time that she wasn't supposed to be. She ended up getting in trouble faster than I even knew about it. Another student reported her post. One other incident that comes to mind is former students who are still in high school Tweeting vine video clips of themselves at parties, which could get them into a lot of trouble due to their alcohol consumption in the videos.

Lesson Learned:


First thing to learn from this is that more social media education needs to be occurring with students. This girl tweeted her frustrations without thinking them through. Whispering your opinion to the person next to you is a lot different than tweeting your opinion for all your high school friends to see at once (as well as comment on or retweet). Posting incriminating information like videos or pictures with your friends tagged in them could be detrimental in a lot of ways. Secondly, twitter can be a great tool for getting information out quickly to your students and parents when it is used appropriately. Smartphones and other tablet devices are welcomed in our school so many students and parents are accessing web 2.0 tools all the time--mostly social media. Using this in a classroom could really increase engagement, which I feel is one of the benefits of using them.



social media tips for teachers
Picture taken from http://www.edudemic.com/2013/08/my-5-best-social-media-tips-for-teachers/

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I think all teachers should be educating our students on the dangers of social networks and how to not emotionally tweet or post. Teenagers are very emotional so making sure they understand the consequences will only save them in the future. Excellent reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right that Twitter can be a great tool if used appropriately. I don't have these issues with my students because they are seven, but my cheerleaders are big on Twitter and Facebook so I keep a check on them and even some middle schoolers that I know. It is not safe to share all the information that they do and these vine videos have gotten many students in trouble because they do not think before they post stuff that may damage their reputation and education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your tips for teachers about social media, and I also like how you turned your not so good experience with social media into a learning experience. I also think that twitter and social media can be used with students to increase their engagement. I would love to think of a way to use this with my students. Maybe, they are too young for twitter, but I would love to try something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so helpful. Especially because I have a 15 year old son who is now in 10th grade and will be making his way in a new social environment this year.

    ReplyDelete